Jordan Creek Trail is 8 miles of trail, extending west-east through West Des Moines. It’s an excellent trail that passes through suburban areas and woodlands. From delicious restaurants to beautiful parks, there’s much to see and do along the way.
About Jordan Creek Trail
The 8-mile trail starts near Jordan Creek Town Center on the west. It runs east along Jordan Creek for several miles and follows EP True Parkway to Grand Avenue. There it turns south along Grand Avenue. Soon it meets up with Jordan Creek again and heads southeast to Raccoon River Park.
It’s the main trail through West Des Moines. One of the many great things about it is that it links to several street sidepaths. These allow trail users to access residential areas and businesses throughout the city.
You can get almost anywhere in West Des Moines from the trail. Check out several restaurants and parks along the way!
Know Before You Go!
- An info hub with bike repair tools and trail information is west of 50th Street at Jordan Creek Greenway (near Bike World). Across the street is the 1908 Draught House Bar and Grill!
- The west end of the trail is near Jordan Creek Town Center, Iowa’s largest shopping center!
- On the trail’s southeast endpoint is Raccoon River Park, West Des Moines’ most prominent park. It features Blue Heron Lake, a 232-acre lake at the center of the park. And it’s bordered by the beautiful Raccoon River too. It has many things to do – you can rent a boat, go fishing, swim at the beach, and much more!
- Several restaurants are just off the trail, including Fiesta Mexican, Subway, Dominos, the Draught House, with many more at Jordan Creek Town Center.
- The Five Waters Project is expanding outdoor recreational options throughout West Des Moines. A new pedestrian bridge will soon link Raccoon River Park with Walnut Woods. And there are plans to complete a 26-mile loop trail surrounding West Des Moines.
You can get on the west end of the trail at Brookview Park. It’s at 81st St. & EP True Pkwy in West Des Moines near the elementary school. The address is 400 81st St, West Des Moines.
Jordan Creek Park is a great place to access the trail. This 275-acre park has an info hub and bike repair tools. It’s right beside Bike World at 310 50th St. in West Des Moines.
Fairmeadows Park has paved parking and access to the trail. If you park there, head south out of the park to get on the trail at EP True Pkwy. Fairmeadows Park is at 543 22nd Street, West Des Moines.
Raccoon River Park is the perfect place to access the trail. Access is on the east end of the park, near the softball complex. And you can stay to enjoy the beach, picnic, or rent a boat to explore Blue Heron Lake. It’s at 2500 Grand Ave, West Des Moines, Iowa.
The trail connects to several wide street sidepaths throughout West Des Moines. The major sidepaths are Jordan Creek Mall Trail, 60th Street Trail, 50th Street Trail, and Mills Civic Parkway Trail. There are several other trail spurs throughout, connecting to businesses and residential areas.
The trail is shared with Grand Avenue Trail, at Grand and EP True Pkwy. From there, it extends south and reconnects to Jordan Creek after passing several apartment buildings. Jordan Creek goes southeast from here to Raccoon River Park. And Grand Avenue Trail continues to follow Grand Avenue south and then east.
The Raccoon River Park Trail begins at the entrance to Raccoon River Park. The 3.5-mile trail surrounds Blue Heron Lake and passes between the lake and the Raccoon River. It has paved and gravel sections.
Levee Trail meets the trail at the edge of Raccoon River Park near the softball complex. It heads northeast to Des Moines (where it connects to Walnut Creek Trail). There is some discrepancy over where Jordan Creek Trail ends, and Levee Trail begins. We’re assuming Levee Trail starts at Raccoon River Park.
Jordan Creek Trail Facts
- Location: West Des Moines
- Distance: ~ 8 miles
- Surface: Concrete
- Difficulty: Easy
- Description: The trail starts on the west near Jordan Creek Town Center and ends near Raccoon River Park on the east.
- Trailheads: Brookview Park, Jordan Creek Park, Fairmeadows Park, and Raccoon River Park
- Connectors: Mills Civic Parkway Trail, 50th Street Trail, 60th Street Trail, Jordan Creek Mall Trail (and other street sidepaths), Grand Avenue Trail, Levee Trail, Raccoon River Park Trail